Monday, February 12, 2018

Book Review: "Do We Not Bleed?" by Daniel Taylor

Do We Not Bleed?: A Jon Mote MysteryDo We Not Bleed?: A Jon Mote Mystery by Daniel Taylor

He’s done it again!

I loved Daniel Taylor’s first Jon Mote mystery, especially getting inside the voice-filled head of the main character with all of his seemingly random yet deeply insightful (and completely hilarious!) thoughts vectoring off in all directions and leaving no allusion unturned. I also loved meeting Jon’s special and sweet sister, Judy, who, though limited and hurt in obvious ways, was also more able than most people to see things as they are really are and to trust Jesus no matter what. It wasn’t perfect (the murder mystery plot kind of fizzled), but it was deeply satisfying and thought provoking.

It seemed, however, unrepeatable. Boy, I’m glad I was wrong about that!

Jon Mote is back again. A little more “hinged” this time. A little more “together.” But not all the way there. You feel the whole time like he might be pulled under by the currents in his own mind. This time, there is a murder among the residents of the group home at which Judy lives and Jon works. The setting is perfect for sharp thinking about disability, personhood, dignity, and the image of God. It’s also good for guffaws and belly laughs. Taylor’s mind is very nimble! I disappeared into this book for several hours and came out with a big grin on my face.

Do We Not Bleed is not for everyone. If it was a movie, it would be rated PG-13. The language is crude (though realistic for the characters depicted) and the evil is...evil. If you don’t tend to read modern murder mysteries, you might want to steer clear of this one, too. But it is also God-entranced. Not only is Jon Mote back, but Judy Mote is too, and she, as always, steals the show. I feel like I know these folks, that they are kin. And I’m hoping they visit us again.


View all my Goodread reviews

0 comments: